NAACLS Board of Directors Update – April, 2017
By Dianne M. Cearlock, PhD, Chief Executive Officer
At the April 27, 2017 meeting of the NAACLS Board of Directors, in addition to accreditation and approval awards recommended by the RCAP and PARC, the following items were addressed:
- Elections for Board of Director were held. Re-elected for a second term were Elton Richards (Public Member) and Marcia Armstrong (ASCLS representative). Elected for a first term were Maribeth Flaws (ASCLS representative) and Marisa James (ASCP representative).
- Elections for the review committees were also held. Elected for a first term on the Review Committee for Accredited Programs (RCAP) were Janna Schill (MLS educator), Karen Escolas (MLS educator), Sally Pestana (MLT educator), Xueya Hauge (CG educator), and Charity Accurso (4-year educator).
- To the Program Approval Review Committee (PARC), elected for a first term were Laura Muldowney (Phlebotomy educator), Laura Ahonen (Phlebotomy educator), and Rita Miller (Clinical Assistant educator). Re-elected for a second term were Dawn Tripolino (Phlebotomy educator) and Mary Ellen Tancred (Phlebotomy educator).
- The Doctoral Review Committee was expanded to meet the expected increase in workload. Elected to serve as continuing members of the DRC are Randall Lambrecht (clinical laboratory sciences industry executive or leader) and Mark Kellogg (doctoral level clinical laboratory educator/practitioner). Newly elected members are Herb Miller (department chair, dean or vice president/provost), Renee Hodgkins (graduate faculty member), Brenda Barnes (member at large), and Brandy Gunsolus (student member).
- Public comments regarding proposed changes to language regarding the clinical liaison position were reviewed. The Board remanded the issue to the NAACLS review committees with the charge of crafting language that provides a clear definition of the roles of the clinical liaison and clinical instructor. The proposed clarification will be submitted for adoption at the next Board meeting in September.