At the April 12, 2012 meeting of the NAACLS Board of Directors, in addition to accreditation and approval awards recommended by the RCAP and PARC, the following items were addressed:
- The Texas Skill Standards Board is developing a common core of technical courses to apply to all NAACLS-accredited programs in the state. NAACLS was contacted by TSSB requesting NAACLS participation in the development of the core curriculum. The consensus of the RCAP was that NAACLS participation would not be appropriate as this is a state initiative. The Board affirmed that position.
- NAACLS is currently going through the recognition process with the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). NAACLS is to submit its report (akin to a self study) this summer and CHEA observers will be present at the RCAP and PARC meetings in July.
- The NAACLS Annual Volunteer Report is posted on the website for review. This year’s NAACLS Annual Volunteer Report contains a statistical performance analysis of volunteers for programs reviewed in 2011. The report also contains several educational articles and updates, a volunteer information packet, and a public recognition of outstanding volunteers that are acknowledged through the Volunteer Recognition Program. The report indicates a high level of program satisfaction with NAACLS and its services.
- The NAACLS and ASCP-BOC staffs began what is intended to be a series of meetings to foster better understanding of the roles of each and investigate ways to partner on selected projects.
- Elections to Board, RCAP and PARC positions were held. Re-elected for a second term to the Board are Sondra Flemming (Two Year Educator), Fred Rodriguez (ASCP Pathologist representative), Jennifer MacDonald (NSH representative), and Yasmen Simonian (ASCLS representative). Elected for a first term to the Board are Peter Hu (AGT representative) and Pat Ellinger (ASCP representative). Re-elected to the RCAP for a second term are Karen Myers (MLT Educator), James Vossler (MLS Educator) and Maribeth Flaws (DMS Educator). Elected to the RCAP for a first term are Judith Loewen (MLS Educator), Vicki Hopwood (CG Educator), and Patricia Docken (PathA Practitioner). Appointed to the RCAP (to complete an unfinished term of a former member) was Haywood Joiner (MLT Educator). Elected to PARC for a first term are Brenna Ildza (Phlebotomy Educator), Darius Wilson (Clinical Assistant Educator), and Mary Faulkner (Phlebotomy Practitioner).
- Subscriptions to the NAACLS News blog continue to increase in number. Please encourage your colleagues to subscribe. Subscribing to the blog is the best way to keep up with NAACLS news and announcements in a timely manner. Any questions? Contact the Blogmaster, Mark Spence, at firstname.lastname@example.org.