On November 4, 2011, NAACLS offered its latest workshop, “Preparing for Accreditation: Process, Standards, and Resources.” This workshop was held at the Renaissance Chicago O’Hare Suites Hotel in Rosemont, Illinois, and was presented to 65 people by Maria E. Delost, PhD, MT(ASCP) and Cecelia W. Landin, EdD, MT(ASCP). Dr. Delost and Dr. Landin are both current members of the NAACLS Review Committee for Accredited Programs, with Dr. Delost having once served as Chair and Dr. Landin currently serving as Vice Chair.
The objectives of this workshop were to:
1. Describe the accreditation process to include:
• Preparation of the Self-Study Report
• Response to the Self-Study Report Review
• Response to the Site Visit Report
• Progress Reports
• Evaluation of the accreditation process
2. Utilize and interpret the NAACLS Standards and access NAACLS-provided resources for interpretation and assistance.
3. Prepare the Self-Study Report.
4. Select appropriate documents for inclusion in the Self-Study Report.
5. Assess personal resources as related to preparation of an Electronic Self-Study Report.
6. Appropriately respond to the Self-Study Report Review.
7. Plan an effective and efficient site visit.
8. Prepare an acceptable response to the Site Visit Report.
The majority of attendees were either new program directors or program directors that will be undergoing the accreditation process in the next year. Overall reviews of the workshop were very positive, with attendees citing the presenters’ knowledge and explanations of the self-study process as the most impressive aspects.
Please check the NAACLS website at http://www.naacls.org for information on our next workshop, “The Standards They Are a-Changin’: An Overview of the Proposed NAACLS Standards!”
by Edward Rotchford